Playing Grandpa’s VCR is a super-fun way to test your puzzling skills– first solving levels on the mobile app, then larger puzzles online.
Let me explain how the game is played.
The mobile app is the gateway to the game.
- Download the FREE mobile app for either iOS or Android.
- Solve Level 1 to learn how the game is played.
- Solve Level 2 then answer Grandma’s questions correctly to get a simple QR code puzzle. You must solve this puzzle to be taken to the account creation page at grandpasvcr.com.
- Solve Level 3, answer Grandma’s questions correctly and you will get a clue to lead you online to the the game-board you need for the rest of the game. The game-board is a QR code with certain squares missing (and will not scan until the missing squares are filled in.)
- Solving Levels 4 – 10 will each present you with another puzzle that will take you online to gather more game pieces.
Feel free to do the levels in any order as each level is a stand-alone puzzle. You can access any level through the Instructions Screen.
Still confused? Here’s a short youtube video to show you how the mobile app works.
The Goal of Grandpa’s VCR
The goal of each online puzzle is to gather game pieces. Game pieces are codes that you use with the QR game card. So a game piece might be A1 or B2, etc. When you find a game piece, say “A1”, you shade in the square at row A, column 1. The card is labeled such that upper right corner is A1, the upper left corner is CC1. The bottom right corner is A29 and the bottom left corner is CC29.
Once you have shaded in enough squares, the QR code becomes “active” and you and will get the URL for the final challenge.
There are FOUR Easter eggs that you can find scattered about. There are two on the home page, one at Indiewatch.net and another listed in the forums on the website. If you solve an Easter egg, you’ll get a hint code.
Hint codes: All hint codes can be redeemed on your account page at grandpasvcr.com. The codes will give you credits that can be used in the mobile game with Grandma. In the mobile game, Grandma will quiz you and if you don’t know the answer, you can redeem some credits for the answer.